Monday, March 16, 2020

Creating a Bootable Windows 10 USB Flash on Fedora 31

TL;DR; use WoeUSB


I haven't used my XPS13 for more than a couple of months now. Thought my girlfriend would like to use it because it's easy to carry around. She prefers Windows over Linux, though, so I had to restore the OS it had when I got it.

I remember creating a backup image before I wiped the disk and installed Linux. Wrote the image to a USB flash storage then came the first issue. My Dell Backup and Restore image does not work as expected. It displays options for reset, restoration and reinstallation(?), but each option failed. A message read 'cannot identify system disk number'. Tried reformatting the SSD to fat32 then to NTFS, still did not work.

It's good that Windows 10 is now easy to download from Microsoft's website. Downloaded the 5GB image and wrote it to a USB flash storage then I tried booting the XPS using the USB flash. Failed. No bootable disk found. Using fdisk, I checked the USB flash if bootable then tried but couldn't set the bootable flag.

So, googled quickly how others write a bootable Windows USB flash and found a post on fossmint (https://www.fossmint.com/woeusb-create-bootable-windows-usb-sticks-from-linux/) where the Martins used woeusb.

sudo dnf install WoeUSB

Installed WoeUSB, wrote the Windows 10 image, and viola, I was talking to Cortina during the OS installation. 'Yes'... 'Skip'... 'Yes'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SSH : No matching host key type found. Their offer: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss

Got this while connecting to my mikrotik router via ssh   Unable to negotiate with <ip address> port <ssh port>: no matching hos...