Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Viber on Fedora 30 Says No Connection even When Connected to the Internet

TL;DR: link openssl library to viber/lib ('sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so.10 /opt/viber/lib/libssl.so')

Because Internet messaging on mobile is more efficient than SMS, and I'm almost always on my keyboard, I had to install my mobile messaging app, Viber, on my newly set-up PC running Fedora 30.

After downloading, installing and running the app, I got a 'No Connection' when I try to register, even when connected to the Internet.



Running the executable on the terminal doesn't give any useful message.


Someone at bytefreaks.net (https://bytefreaks.net/applications/viber-desktop-on-fedora-27-64bit-viber-cannot-connect-to-the-internet-openssl-error) had a solution for an explicit SSL error message. I checked if the SSL library they needed existed in my Viber installation. It doesn't. So, I took it as a hint on the possible problem and tried their solution, which is to link the SSL library to Viber's lib folder.

# sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so.10 /opt/viber/lib/libssl.so

It worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SSH : No matching host key type found. Their offer: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss

Got this while connecting to my mikrotik router via ssh   Unable to negotiate with <ip address> port <ssh port>: no matching hos...